Cellular connectivity, unlike other connectivity technologies, has a larger barrier to adoption in IoT devices. Besides the hardware design and software development, carrier and regulatory certification needs to be completed. The industry has gravitated to utilizing “Massive IoT” technologies LTE-M and NB-IoT, which offer the promise of simplicity, low cost, and low power consumption.
Few companies have been able to bring together all these aspects into a single turnkey solution to specifically address requirements of IoT devices in consumer, healthcare, and industrial applications. Skyworks, in partnership with Sequans have developed such a solution – the SKY66430-11. The SKY66430-11 is the world’s smallest SiP that integrates the entire RF front end, transceiver, power management, memory, and baseband modem into a single 8.8 x 10.8 x 0.95mm package for an 18-band radio operating in the 700-2200 MHz frequency range.
This presentation not only covers the fundamentals of Massive IoT connectivity, including LTE-M and NB-IoT, but highlights the technical and business challenges in adding these connectivity solutions through the lens of two real-world customer journeys. The presentation will feature demonstrations from Pebblebee and Daatrics that showcase how going with a mature, proven connectivity solution from Skyworks and Sequans has saved them time and money.
Attendees will also learn what 3GPP Release 15 and 16 specifications mean for Massive IoT devices utilizing LTE-M and NB-IoT technologies and what Release 17 has in store. They will be made aware of the benefits of choosing a connectivity solution today that has a roadmap to support evolving future requirements of 5G Massive IoT.
- Learn the fundamentals of LTE-M and NB-IoT connectivity
- Understand how the SKY66430-11 addresses key RF design challenges including co-existence with GNSS/WiFi/BT to enable an end device that can operate globally
- Understand key features of 3GPP Releases that improve power consumption for IoT devices
- Recognize why going with a mature proven modem solution will pay off in long run
- Learn about how Pebblebee and DAATRICS are benefitting from adding cellular connectivity