Circuit breakers are one of the most common components used in a short-circuit and overcurrent protection circuit, especially for higher-power systems. There are many considerations for designing in this kind of protection, and this article will show:
- Why it’s important to build in the protection
- Advantages of silicon carbide (SiC)-based solid-state circuit breakers
- Reference designs/circuits
- Tips on designing for transient or surge immunity
- Explanations of how SiC provides an edge over traditional silicon (Si) devices and other circuit-breaker technologies
In addition to the above, the article highlights Microchip’s SiC devices available from Richardson RFPD that enable DC circuit protection with highly flexible fast overcurrent and short-circuit detection and protection.
Designers of high-voltage power systems have struggled to meet customers’ needs for continued innovation when using silicon MOSFETs and IGBTs.
This article focuses on the three EV charging levels and the Microchip solutions that can support several aspects of residential, commercial and fast charging systems.